Monday, November 8, 2010

Whirling Dervish: Sheik Suleiman Dede.

In 1991 when I first arrived in Hawaii, I was honoured to be invited to play guitar for the monthly dances of Universal Peace which was hosted by the Sufis . Slowly I became aware of the love, the harmony and the beauty of these truly spiritual gatherings.
I met beautiful people......I met my good friend, Sheik Jelaleddin Loras who in 1978 was sent to America by his father Sheik Suleiman Dede, to continue his education and water the seeds of Sufism.
I had never met Sheik Jelaleddin Loras's father who in the early 70's had himself travelled to America carrying the mysteries of the Mevlevi tradition. Sheik Suleiman Dede coached men and women in the Sema ceremony, planting the seeds of love, unity and beauty in many hearts.

One night I had a vivid dream. I was on the top of a very high structure. I was in fear of falling.

As I wobbled back and forth, trying to keep my balance, I could see people below looking up at my situation with fear and awe on their faces. I was about to fall.......
In an instant I was in the secure and steady embrace of an old, small, smiling arab dressed all in white. He was slowly and gently turning us both around and around. We seemed to meld, he spoke softly.
In that seemingly endless embrace, I began to realise that we were on  the top of a huge tetrahedral pyramid structure. My fears had now abated and as I looked down, now, all I could see were the smiling faces of the crowd below.

That's all there was...It left me puzzled for weeks ..it was strange, extremely vivid and awesome.


A few weeks later I began building a wooden model of a group of enjoined rhombic dodecahedrons using post and beam techniques. I came up with a simple truss system to stabilise the shear forces.
Using this truss system I realised it is possible to build a large open space contained within a huge tetrahedral pyramid .

This picture of the wooden model I made is 3 tiered. Imagine this as a seven tiered structure. That upper single RD if full size would equal approx 80 sq ft if using 6 ft beam lengths.





A short time later I was attending a a gathering of friends. The hosts Kim and Valerie are Sufis and I was admiring a shrine dedicated to Sufism when there, in a small picture frame, was the very image of the old arab man who appeared in my dream.
Wow! Really set back by this extraordinary coincidence I was, and still am, double wowed to find out from Valerie Noor Karima that it was Sheik Jelaleddin Loras's father...  Sheik Suleiman Dede, who appeared in my dream and that he is famous for appearing in dreams!!!!

I conclude from this Serendipitous experience that I should build the pyramid.  

No comments:

Post a Comment